AN HISTORICAL SKETCH
St. Paul’s Church stands today much as it did more than 100 years ago; a simple frame church, in modified Gothic style, with a cornerstone dated 1883.
The Reverend James Stephenson, S.T.D., founded not only St. Paul’s, Poplar Springs, but also St. James, Mt. Airy. Together these congregations, along with Grace Church, New Market and Zion Church, Urbana, formed Linganore Parish, which Dr. Stephenson served for many years.
After nearly 100 years of being “yoked” with other churches, the people of St. Paul’s voted, on May 3, 1981, to “unyoke” from St. James, Mt. Airy and become an Organized Mission of the Diocese of Maryland. On September 1, 1981, that unyoking became a reality.
On October 25, 1981, the Reverend Roger P. Butts was appointed the first Vicar of the Organized Mission.
On May 17, 1986, St. Paul’s, became a Separate Congregation under the leadership of our late Senior Warden, Vern C. Prentice.
On September 1, 1986, the Reverend R. Bolling Bryant became our first Rector.
On July 1, 1991, the Reverend Paul S. Dawson became our Rector Holding a Part-Time Cure.
On February 1, 2000, The Rev. John E. Wilbur became Rector.
On October 9, 2005 the Rev. Dr. Ann Boyd began as Rector.
On September 5, 2010 the Rev. Patricia Drost began as our Interim Rector.
On December 4, 2011 the Rev. Rock Schuler began as our Interim Rector.
On July 1, 2012 the Rev. Susan S. Keller began as our Rector.
To see a more detailed History click here St. Paul’s History